Saturday, December 24, 2011

Réveillera (Wake up): France

This is the second time I’ve been to Paris and I’m happy I returned.  The first time I was able to do all of the touristy stuff like Euro Disney, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Louvre. This time, however, I was able to just wake up and walk! You really can see the city with new eyes when you have no agenda and you can simply go wherever captures your eye. Sometimes I woke up and wandered along the banks of the Seine. Sometimes I woke up and purposely got lost on the train, getting off wherever it took me. And sometimes I woke up and sat on a park bench and people watched for hours while eating French pastries and sipping chai.

It sounds cliché, but watching regular people do regular things amongst a backdrop so saturated in beauty is surreal. At times I wanted to stop the lady playing catch with her dog and say, “Do you realize that you’re playing in front of the Eiffel Tower?” Or tap the man screaming at his children and say, “Hey, you’re in the Louvre!” The reality of the situation is that many of us can get so caught up in everyday life that we don’t get the opportunity to simply wake up and be. Wake up and appreciate.
I have no story to tell of Parisian wonders or traveling mishaps, but it’s Christmas Eve and I wanted to first say Happy Holidays to all those who read this mess of a blog. I have three countries left and my trip is winding down, so I may be feeling sentimental. Nevertheless, while you’re rushing around the house cleaning, cooking, and opening presents, I wanted to encourage you to take a moment, breathe, and enjoy.
Here’s to waking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment