Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hair Again: Singapore

I hate going to the Beauty Salon. I honest to God, HATE IT! I hate that your appointment is at 9 am, but you don’t even get touched until noon. I hate that I have to hear everybody’s business and suffer while everybody’s children are running around and subsequently getting beat in front of me. I hate that I have to smell perm and chicken because it’s lunch time.  Most of all I hate wasting an entire day there. Now that you understand where I’m coming from, let’s begin…

Judy washing a customer's hair.
Once I arrived in Malaysia, I ran out of hair products. No leave-in conditioner, no Mixed-chicks, and no Motions shampoo… NOTHING! I have nearly five months left of traveling and not having hair products wasn’t going to cut it. I went to the stores and of course there were products there, but not necessarily for my hair texture. For those who don’t understand, a lot of mainstream products have an alcohol base in it to help strip or clean oils out of your hair. In general, black hair needs moisture, so it requires products that balance and maintain the oils in our hair. I picked up what I could for my hair, but still sent up flares to a friend on Facebook asking for home recipes. “Please help! I’m starting to look like a cross between Homie the Clown and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome! I need a deep conditioner recipe that I can make at home or I’m going to the barber shop.”

Unfortunately, I didn’t receive an answer… (you know who you are and you wrong Anna Mae!)

Black hair care products sold there
A week later, my hair started feeling like a Brillo Pad and I swear it was locking at the root. So I started experimenting…  I had eggs, white folk’s conditioner, vegetable oil… I went in. I actually felt like I was baking a cake in my hair, but it worked for about a day or two, but I needed more help than that! I can barely maintain my own hair with the right products, so attempting to do without was going to be a hot mess. AND I wasn’t taking eggs with me to the bathroom every other day! I know that some people would say, “Girl! You’re traveling the world! Forget about your hair!”, but I couldn’t do it! I don’t think people realize how much a jacked up head of hair can affect your mood.  So, I got to work…

I did a desperate search online for black or afro hair products or services in Asia. Apparently, there’s a small African community in Bangkok and black hair products, as well as braiding can be done there. Damn, I wish I knew that earlier. There’s also a process called “Rebonding.” It’s an Asian version of a relaxer, but it’s not for curly afro hair. Rebonding is more for curly Jewish or curly Malaysian types of texture. Then I found it in a random hair forum online: EXTREME LENGTH BY FLOJUMAR in Singapore. It said: “Dealing with all types of hair: Extensions & Weaving, Braids, Corn Rows, Perms, Relaxers etc.  Ethnic Hair Products available for sale.”
 
The exterior of the salon
My momma use to say that “He may not come when you want him, but He’s right on time.” I think Jesus looked down on my head and felt really bad for me, because finding this salon was a freaking miracle. Thank you, Jesus! I have never in my life been so happy to go to a salon! I didn’t know if the place was still in business, if they were already booked or even how much it cost, but what I did know was that I was going there the minute I arrived in Singapore and I was paying whatever it took.

Now, by the time I actually got to Singapore, I just had a bird’s nest growing on my head. So sad…  I made it to Singapore late at night, checked into my hostel and prayed. “Father God, please let this lady’s salon be open. If it’s not, then can you please send your angel Gabriel down with a box perm or something.  I’m your child and you know what I need. Thank you in advance. Amen.”

Singpore during the day. If I pan to the right the view is just as grand.

I woke up early! Equipped with a city map and a subway map, I layed them out and the guys at the hostel helped me map a route to salon. “You don’t need to go to the salon. Your hair looks ni--“, before he could finish I politely said “Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about!” They laughed, but they knew I was serious about this hair.

This mall had a gondola ride in it!
Singapore is a huge city! The entire country is one big ass city. It’s the type of place that you go to live or do business, but not necessarily go for vacation. Someone was once quoted as saying that “Singapore is the only mall to have made it into the U.N.”  And it is.  You can’t throw a brick without hitting a mall. These aren’t small malls either; these are mega malls with Gucci, Fendi and any other high end labels you can think of.  Singapore is very modern, very cosmopolitan, very clean and extremely expensive. The prices of everything (rent, subway, clothes, food etc.) rival that of New York, and that’s saying a lot for Asia. Due to the expense of staying there, I only allotted for four days in the country; however, it’s a small country, so I feel as if that was enough time to see all of the highlights.

To get to the salon, I took two trains and a bus, but I finally made it. I walked in and said, “I need help.”  The owner, Judy Buss, said, “I actually have two other appointments right now…” Then she looked at my head and threw me a hail mary, “but I think I can fit you in, if you don’t mind waiting.” Since I have nothing but time, I sat my ass down with the quickness.

The salon is small, but really neat and modern with one side consisting of shelves of black hair products from relaxers to leave in conditioners to snap in pony tails. There are two work stations at the salon, but Judy is the only hairstylist and this woman is busy.  I was surprised by all of the calls to the salon and people coming in, but Judy explained that since Singapore is an international city, she receives clients from everywhere. One of the ladies getting her hair done was an expat from New York, while another lady was a student from London and Judy is actually a Canadian who moved to Singapore from the U.K. There was so much diversity in that room, yet we had so much in common. We talked about hair, we talked about politics, we talked about shopping and for once I was really grateful for the genuine sense of community I felt in that shop. Mid-way through I realized that I had taken these things for granted when I was at home; but never again!

I can run my hands though it!!
For those planning to backpack through Asia, if you want to make one stop to get your hair together before continuing on your journey, then I would highly recommend EXTREME LENGTH BY FLOJUMAR in Singapore. Judy is fast, she’s thorough and she’s good! She sat me in her chair and the conversation started with, “So what’s going on here?” By the time the day was over, she had detangled, deep conditioned, relaxed and styled my hair so well that I almost cried when leaving.  She blew my hair out so straight that for a minute I felt like I was in NY sitting in a Dominican salon. I also purchased enough products from her to last me until I get to Europe. So, I’m very happy to have found her.
Price wise, she is reasonable by Singaporean standards; but make room in your budget. For the relaxer, the products and tip I paid $200 SD, which is roughly $160 USD.  For a backpacker on budget, this may be a bit of a luxury. However, remember that she is the ONLY hairstylist that I found in ALL OF ASIA that does black hair, so quite frankly she can charge whatever she likes. Also, I would recommend making an appointment. I got lucky, but she’s busy enough that she had to turn down business when I was there.
Good Luck!

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR EXTREME LENGTH BY FLOJUMAR
Unit #1. Claymore Drive
#02-14 Orchard Towers
Singapore 229594
Telephone: +65 6733 6396
Open: M- F ( 10am – 7pm) & Sat. (9am-6pm)

This is the Singapore Flyer. One rotation takes 30 minutes!!

Marina Bay Sands: This is the skypark! It's so tall that I actually got vertigo!

Art Science Museum! Gorgeous architecture.


Resort World! A playground of entertainment.

The view at night from the Sky Park.

25 comments:

  1. You are beautiful and amazing, funny and brilliant, brave and resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U hit the jackpot finding this lady in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Davita, A customer came in and told me that he read your blog and it prompted him to come see us. After he brought it to my attention i read your post and i can not thank you enough for your kind words.
    so good of you to share such positive feedback. i wish you all the best and
    Hope to see you again soon.
    Best
    Judy Buss. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy, I am in Thailand and have run out of product. Do you know of any suppliers here? Many thanks Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,
    I am planning on moving to Singapore from London in January and I always have a weave as my natural hair is in such bad condition. I look forward to my first appointment... you have made the move less daunting! Thank you! Bonnae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I'm also moving to Singers in 2013 and one of my main concerns was whether I'd be able to get my weave on!! If you find any other places that also offer weave services (just for options), I'd be grateful if you could let me know

      Delete
    2. Hi there, working in Singapore at the moment. Did you find anyone who does weave on? Have you done a weave on at Floujumar before? Let me know if so, thanks
      :)

      Delete
  6. Could anyone,absolutely anyone help me please? I desperately need to get my hair done and I am in Bangkok at the moment. My growth is on a mission of its own and I need to get it retouched or braided. Please people? SOS! anna.msa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get this question often from people. I don't know of anyone specific in Bangkok; however, you may want to check around Sukhumvit Soi 3. There's a small African community there and you may find someone who can point you in the right direction. That's all I got...

    If you find something, please post it. I'm POSITIVE that there are others looking for this info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear just when I thought someone has an address for a salon! I am also desperately looking and this afternoon went in search of one around Sukhumvit Soi 3 and found none *viasadface* Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places. Someone help please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Davita,

    There is a reason for everything .. I will be going to Singapore in Sept 2013/6 months for work... I have been stressing about what to do with my hair.. girlfriend .. thank you soooooooooooooooooo much!! I had to LoL while reading your blog... and hoping as I read to the end that the outcome would be a good one and it was !!!! Amen... Ms. Judy I will be looking you up!!! thank you again Davita

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Thank you! I'm on a trip from Toronto....I've been wearing a twists in my hair for over a month (no extensions) and cannot find a salon in Kuala Lumpur. I'll be Singapore next week...hopefully, I get get a fresh ' do cuz, GIRL, bird's nest....that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Avoid going to Flojumar !
    If you have to go to, please read about my experience and then decide whether you still want to go.

    I visited Flojumar recently to have my roots done. I’ve been living in Singapore for about 2 months by then and roots needed a touch up. I visited Judy at Flojumar and she instantly told me that she would charge me extra because my hair was long. I didn’t mind because I read the comments above and I knew she would be expensive but I had high hopes that I would get good service. Unfortunately, it was one of the worse hairdressing experiences of my life. I told Judy that I also wanted a trim. After she relaxed my roots she asked her assistant to trim my hair. I didn’t feel the need to explain again that I just wanted a trim. Plus, the assistant spoke very little English. She ended up cutting half of my hair off, I could not believe it . I was horrified and there was nothing I could do. My long hair looked so short plus it was all uneven.
    I was charged over SGD200 to have my roots and for a really bad haircut.

    Please avoid going to Flojumar and wait until you return to your normal hairdressers. You have been warned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I think its important for people to hear/read varying opinions. So thanks for posting. I had such a fantastic experience and would still recommend her. Nevertheless, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and I hope it didn't spoil your entire trip!

      Delete
  12. Hey!!! Love love loved your blog..you had me crackin up laughin...but moreover, I was able to book an appt with the salon you recommended. And i want to say thank you!!!! I agree girl, sheer miracle!! Thank you Jesus! Take care and God bless mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, has anyone found help in Bangkok?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi....I am in Singapore due to my husband's surgery after being medevac'd from Jakarta. I have an appointment on Sunday. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray for a good experience. Been living overseas for three years and my once long and healthy hair is gone. Hopefully, she is better than what I have experienced thus far. Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG this is terrifying! Thanks a lot Davita for sharing! Now i know i need to do some serious shopping before our move. We are moving to KL in few mths time from London and my main concern every time we are about to move to a new country is" Black hair salon" before i even worry about my son's nursery haha... I went through all these messages hoping someone is going to say that there are many salons opened since then. the idea of having to travel to Singapore every time i need my hair( usually every 3weeks) is worrying. I know a lot about black hair/ extensions i think i may as well start a business in KL.:-). Is there at least somewhere i can have my hair cornrowed? Thanks once again these messages are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I moved here about 2 months ago. It's about that time to get my hair done. Please open a salon in KL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Last comment on this blog was more than a year ago - I do hope Judy still exists and I can visit her salon in Singapore in December to fix my cornrows with extensions prior to Xmas.
    Judy, if you happen to read this blog please do let me know if you are around in Singapore during the xmas times, Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last comment on this blog was more than a year ago - I do hope Judy still exists and I can visit her salon in Singapore in December to fix my cornrows with extensions prior to Xmas.
    Judy, if you happen to read this blog please do let me know if you are around in Singapore during the xmas times, Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Judy has moved to Australia and her daughter is running it now. She does come back every so often but check in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Has anyone found a salon for natural hair or braids in Bangkok? I need one urgently please

    ReplyDelete