Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Don't go into the light, Carol Ann...

I’ve been planning this trip for a little over a year now and I’m still amazed at the range of responses I receive from people when I tell them about my plans. I’ve gotten everything from, “That’s awesome. I wish I could come with you!” to “That’s crazy! What type of black person are you?!” Although most people are genuinely happy and excited about my trip, I’m still left confused by the really negative or fearful feedback I receive and the concerned calls advising me that this is a bad idea.

Concerned Friend 1: OMG! Aren’t you scared? Those people there are so poor; they’re going to rob you as soon as they see you!

Concerned Friend 2:  I wouldn’t go to that country if I were you. Those people don’t speak English so you know they aren’t educated.

Really?? So because they are poor, they naturally rob people and because they don’t speak English, they aren’t educated? Sigh…I could go on and on with examples of inconsistent social calculations, but the gist of this post is that I’ve entertained fear long enough. 

Well, not all fear…

I’m still scared of the usual: snakes, spiders, God, flying bugs that are attracted to dark meat…etc. I’m not looking in basements for the cause of that strange noise. I’m definitely not going outside to find out who the dog is barking at in the middle of the night and if Poltergeist move into my house, Carol Ann better have her ass right behind me because I’m deuces! These fears are of unknown phenomenon, so I understand having a healthy respect for the unknown. What irks me is fear that is driven by a jaded trust in humanity.

I believe that at the end of the day people experience the same basic human emotions, functions and concerns that I do. They all have to eat, sleep, and relieve themselves like I do. They fall in love, can be disappointed, and occasionally find things humorous like I do too. So at a very basic human level we have something in common. Does that mean that I’m going to immediately trust everyone I come across? Hell no, I’m still a New Yorker! It just means that I refuse to let fear of differences keep me at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment